Thursday, February 25, 2010

A Surprising Thing About Food

E and I both love food. We spend a good portion of our money and a great deal of our time on good food. We are always looking for new recipes and new flavours to try. When Ena turned 6 months old and began eating solid foods I thought it would be easy to feed her in this way. I knew it would be messy. I knew there would be foods she wouldn't like. But because I had expected those things I prepared for them. What I hadn't anticipated was how much I would want to give her food that I enjoyed. That I would want to offer her salty foods, spicy foods, sweet foods. Every time I eat something I enjoy I want to offer her some, too. I find it surprisingly difficult to remember that these foods are not good for her. That really, a few bland vegetables and fruit are the best for now. I also find it hard to only introduce one food at a time. Sometimes we make food that would be good for her to eat, full of vegetables and lentils, but nearly all of our food has more than one ingredient. I find myself looking for bland foods that we will enjoy but can also share with Ena. There are not many.

I fear that I am going to be just the kind of parent I thought critically of before I had a child. The parent who indulges the child. Over-protects them. Shelters them too much. Hinders their independence by always doing for the child. Ugh. All things in life are so complicated. Will anything ever feel easy again?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.